June 9, 2010

Light Chicken Salad

 I recently discovered a few places in Mississauga that sell halal rotisserie chicken. I am in heaven! I cannot tell you how many times I have walked by the prepared food section at Metro or Loblaws and have my stomach grumble as I took in the whiffs of rotisserie chicken.

Rotisserie chicken is pretty versatile. You can cut it up and eat it as is ( I like to use the legs, thighs and wings for this- skin off of course!), or you can take the chicken off the bones and create something new, like this chicken salad.  I've made this chicken salad twice to rave reviews..okay okay my reviewer was my husband and of course he wasn't biased at all!  Enjoy!

Light Chicken Salad


2 cooked chicken breasts ( I used the ones off a rotisserie chicken, however you can also roast two chicken breasts if you wish)
2 tbsp of light mayo (if you find it a bit dry, you may want to add in another tbsp or try some yogurt)
3 green onions, diced
3 celery sticks, diced
1/3 cup of shredded or julienned carrots
1/3 seedless cucumber, diced with peel
salt to taste
pepper to taste
chili flakes to taste

Shred the cooked chicken breasts into small pieces. Add diced onions, carrots, onions and cucumber.  Mix lightly.  Add in mayo and mix well. Mix in salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste.
*You can eat this on its own, or put it on a bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment