June 28, 2011

Refreshing Mint Tea to Beat the Heat!

I don't like the heat. I'm one of those crazies out there that loves SNOW and RAIN and ICE! I do like the sun, but only in the spring or fall.  One of the reasons why I don't like the heat is because summer = air conditioning season.  I have a love-hate relationship with the A/C.  I love it after spending an entire day teaching in a hot and sticky classroom. It's also great when the humidity is so bad that my hair underneath my hijab is calling for mercy. But I hate it when I have to wear a sweater inside because the A/C is on full and the room feels like it's 10 degrees Celsius. Or when my joints start to hurt because of the freakishly cold air. Or when I sweat like crazy after going from an air conditioned place into the sweltering heat. See..love and hate!

In my home, I usually have all the windows open so there is good cross-ventilation and sometimes a fan that's on rotation.  I really only turn the A/C on when there is no breeze outside and when the thermostat inside my home reads 30 degrees Celsius. 

I was searching for some interesting recipes and came across one on Dawnaara that is supposed to help you naturally beat the heat without any A/C.  I made a huge jug full of this Sun Mint Green Tea and it was amazing!!  There is a lot of mint in this recipe- 2 cups to be exact- and according to Chinese medicine mint is spicy and cooling at the same time.  Mint helps push sweat out of the surface of the skin and this helps cool you down.  Make a jug of this and keep it in your fridge for those hot, sticky summer days!
Sun Mint Green Tea


2 cups of fresh mint leaves, thoroughly washed
1 tbsp of loose Japanese Cherry Blossom green tea leaves (you can use any kind of loose leaf green tea)
2 litres of spring water
sugar (optional)

In a large glass jug toss in the mint leaves, green tea leaves and spring water. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture while at the same time bruising the mint leaves. This will help the leaves release their flavour.
Cover the top of your jug with its lid or a piece of plastic wrap and place the jug in a sunny spot for a few hours and then put into the fridge to chill.  Once refrigerated, strain out the mint and green tea leaves and pour yourself a glass of sun mint green tea.  You can add sugar to your tea if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment