July 11, 2011

Red and White

Before I start blogging about my lemon poppy seed cake disaster, I thought it would be wise to wrap up my Canada Day posts.  Since Canada Day fell on a Friday, we had a 3-day long weekend that proved to be jam packed with things to do.  It started off with me prepping for the roasted steak lunch with vegetable and pasta sides for my in-laws.  A couple of weeks prior I had gotten some flank steaks and marinated them in some masala, and minced ginger and garlic, before sticking them into the freezer for a rainy day. That so called rainy day turned out to be a sunny Canada Day!  I thought I would make some fancy dessert, but didn't have time, what with my husband flying in from a business trip, the sides to make for lunch, and a commitment to make dessert for my mom's barbecue. So I opted for something that would be simple yet would fit the colour scheme of the day.  I decided to mix fresh Ontario strawberries with California raspberries on a white dish that one of my students had given me and sprinkle them with powdered sugar!


Strawberry and Raspberry Medley


1 pint Ontario strawberries, washed
1 pint raspberries, washed
1 tbsp powdered sugar
2-3 mint leaves (optional)

Wash and drain the strawberries and raspberries. First, layer the strawberries on the bottom of a white dish and then place the raspberries around the strawberries and in the crevices.  Put the powdered sugar in a small sieve and begin to "dust" the sugar over the berries**.  Tuck in a few mint leaves for garnish.  Serve plain or with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.


**  Make sure your berries are dry before dusting them with powered sugar.  I hadn't drained all the water off the berries when I sprinkled them with the sugar, and so the sugar was sucked into the berries...that's why my berries look naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment