May 14, 2010

I'm in love with The Spunky Coconut!

I confess- I am a chocoholic. My love for chocolate started when I was a little girl. My dad would come home from work with a Kit-Kat or Aero for my siblings and I to share.  This tradition of sorts continued throughout high school, university and even after we all got married!  This one's for you dad...


I made a few slight changes to  Kelly's Flourless Brownies. One, I got rid of the sun butter...okay okay..I didn't know what sun butter was, so I just used organic almond butter.  Chunky organic almond butter (I love the crunch factor this gives the brownies).  Two, I swapped the vanilla creme stevia liquid for a splash of vanilla extract..they both have "vanilla" in their names...so why not?! And finally, I used regular chocolate chips...just a sprinkle though.


Some thoughts before I give you my adapted recipe.  My friend told me that honey has a higher glycemic index then sugar, so you may want to try trimming the amount of honey used in the recipe. Or you could swap it for maple syrup or agave nectar (which is much sweeter than sugar, so you would use less anyways).


I didn't like the way the batter spread in the square pan I used so maybe it's better if you make brownie bites by putting the batter in nut cups (tiny paper cups that support themselves in the oven) or tiny cupcake trays.




Flourless Brownies




Set oven to 325 degrees

 1 cup of chunky almond butter
 2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
A splash of vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder (no more than 1/4 cup - or they will be dry)


Beat with a whisk. If you notice the batter is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water.
Pour into square greased cake pan. (I lined my pan with parchment paper).
Sprinkle chocolate chips on the top of the pan and bake on the middle rack until the batter is set ( I did the toothpick test).

No comments:

Post a Comment